Notifications
Clear all

Narcolepsy vs Depression

Topic starter

I find it difficult to separate the confusion between narcolepsy and depression. Although my narcolepsy has always been under control, I occasionally wonder whether there is another reason why I am so exhausted. Am I simply exhausted or am I also somewhat depressed? Does anyone know of any excellent sources I may use to learn the differences?

3 Answers

I am currently facing the same situation. I don't feel depressed other than the fact that I'm constantly exhausted and my stimulants aren't working for me anymore.

Depression and narcolepsy are two different diseases with different signs. Having narcolepsy can make you sleepy during the day, cause rapid sleep attacks, and sometimes cause cataplexy (sudden muscle weakness). On the other hand, depression is when you feel sad all the time, lose interest or pleasure in things you used to enjoy, have changes in your eating or sleep patterns, and feel useless or guilty. Both can have an impact on daily life, but they need to be diagnosed and treated in different ways. If you think you might have either condition, you should see a doctor right away so they can properly diagnose and treat you.

Narcolepsy is a sleep disease in which a person is too sleepy during the day, has rapid sleep attacks, and has trouble sleeping. Depression is a mood disease that causes people to feel sad all the time, lose interest in or pleasure from doing things, have changes in their eating or sleep habits, and feel guilty or useless. Both can make it hard to sleep, but they are two different illnesses with different signs and reasons.

Share: