Notifications
Clear all

Safe sleep aid?

Topic starter

I was recently diagnosed with moderate to light sleep apnea (7 AHI side twelve on my lower back) and am suffering from fatigue, so I am scheduled to discuss an CPAP. When I spoke to my doctor, I mentioned that I take a few times half Xanax to help me sleep and he told me it could make my apnea more severe and pretty much any sleep aid could be similar things. Somebody on this forum mentioned that Benadryl as a remedy could that be suitable to take at times and not cause the apnea problem? I am allergic and my nose is prone to become blocked over the course of the night, so it might help also.

3 Answers

Over-the-counter sleep aids like melatonin or plant pills like valerian root or chamomile may be safe. People also use prescription drugs like zolpidem or trazodone while being watched by a doctor. Before taking any sleep aid, it's important to talk to a doctor to make sure it's safe and will work for you.

A safe sleep aid can be an over-the-counter medication like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or doxylamine (Unisom). These medications can help you fall asleep, but it's essential to follow the dosage instructions and avoid using them for extended periods without consulting a healthcare professional.

Benadryl has been connected to dementia, thus it should not be used for sleep. Since Zzzquil is an antihistamine, I believe it would be safer. However, apnea would most likely become worse. Although melatonin is least likely to impact apnea, it may have no effect at all for some individuals.

Cannabis impairs REM sleep, which people with apnea most likely already lack. For this reason, I would advise against using it. Few trials have been done, although CBD, CBG isolation, or BROAD spectrum may be beneficial. The THC in full spectrum really interferes with my REM. The day after I use it, I feel better.

Share: