Notifications
Clear all

Husband has sleep issues - want to get to the bottom of it

Topic starter

Hello!

I need some advice.

My husband has had sleep issues forever, and I know it runs in his family as well. It affects not only him and his quality of life, but also mine. When he is asleep, I can't do anything even remotely noisemaking that might wake him up or he will be irritable, angry, and extremely tired. Oftentimes my schedule is quite literally dictated by his sleeping, whether or not he fully realizes this.

If he wakes up a little earlier than his alarm, his day is essentially ruined. If he hears a bird chirping outside, he can't sleep and it drives him mad. He needs the darkest possible environment and a fancy eye mask. He can't get to sleep unless he has 2 white noise machines blaring. He needs the room to be so incredibly cold that everyone else shivers. He can't have anyone (me or our dogs) touching him while he's trying to sleep. If he has to get up earlier than usual, it also has the ability to ruin his whole day. He usually drinks at least an entire pot of coffee a day, or more, to function. He also requires naps often (a few a week). Sometimes, but not always, he will also snore really loud at night and there are "rules" surrounding how I can wake him to stop him (from waking me up), or it will also set him off. Essentially, he is incredibly, incredibly sensitive when it comes to his sleeping.

He is training to become a nurse and I'm not going to lie - I'm worried for him. He is in denial and thinks his sleep patterns are normal. Whenever I ask him to look into it, talk to a doctor, do a google search, anything, he won't do it. I think it overwhelms him.

Where do we begin? Does this sound like an established/well known disorder or symptoms that can be treated? I feel like his sleep has been what is essentially controlling our household for awhile now. I have also had the suspicion that he may have ADHD for years now (we've been together for around 8 years so I know him very well! haha), and he has not explored that at all either. I wouldn't want to "push him" to investigate whether or not he is neurodivergent, as I am not a doctor and could be wrong and just don't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel bad about himself. Are sleep issues and ADHD related though and if so does this all sound like it could be an example of that?

I am not here to talk crap or necessarily even vent my frustrations here about my husband, I really care for him and his health and just want him to be happy. I'm trying to just get him to talk to our family doctor about it as a step 1.

2 Answers

Your husband already has this problem and according to you his family also has this problem, so is the problem still not solved? What does your family doctor have to say about sleeping problems? If someone has sleep problem, his whole day does not go well, due to which anger, stress, irritability increases. Due to which you feel tired all day. So you should take medicine as suggested by your doctor. So are there any home remedies to overcome sleep issues?

It is important to find out why your husband is having trouble sleeping if he does. First, watch how he sleeps and write down any trends or interruptions you notice. Tell him to stick to a regular sleep plan, make a relaxing bedtime routine, and stay away from screens and stimulants like caffeine before bed. If the problems don't go away, you might want to see a doctor for more tests and advice.

Share: