Notifications
Clear all

Weird sleep disorder ruining my life, please help me

Topic starter

Every night, and recently increasing in severity, I suffer from what could be described as part hypnic jerk, part hypnagogic hallucination and part sleep paralysis. As I seem to drift closer to sleep, my body and mind quickly fall asleep while my somehow still being awake. I’ve had sleep paralysis before in my past, and it doesn’t feel like that. Typically, my thoughts become more fragmented as I approach the ‘sweet zone’, then suddenly, everything shifts into absolute horror. I become engulfed by sheer panic, as if someone was hunting me for sport, but only for a few moments. I can still move my limbs as this happens I normally thrash a little bit, not involuntarily like a hypnic jerk/sleep start, but thrashing out of fear to try and jolt my mind back to functioning properly. Often in the moments I’m in this state, I experience hallucinations similar to sleep paralysis, except not as complex and more vivid. I will feel my heart stop/ thud in my chest with the most violent palpitation that I’m sure has just killed me(pretty sure this isn’t real), sometimes I’ll hear a scream, sometimes it will be my field of vision that is widened.

EVERY time this happens, once I regain control, I’m confused and scared as I don’t know where I am for the next 3-7 seconds. I panic further because I don’t recognize my surroundings, similar to waking up from nightmares.

The worst part about this by far is that it happens over and over and over and over and over. I finally fell asleep at 5:30am last night, (I mean this morning, my brain is fried) to wake up for work at 7:30am. I type this now at 3am at what feels like my wit’s end, the mental state that this ordeal is putting me in is devastating.

I used to get typical sleep paralysis years ago, would see ravens pecking at my eyes, girls from the shining out of the corner of my vision singing hopscotch songs, the typical paralysis- all of that. This is different, I can see and move but still hallucinate, not in a schizophrenic manner (I hope) because it only happens as I fall asleep

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Is this type of sleep paralysis? Or something other?

2 Answers

I'm not a substitute for proficient clinical exhortation, but rather on the off chance that you're encountering an odd rest problem, counsel a rest subject matter expert or medical services proficient. It's pivotal to go through an exhaustive assessment to decide the underlying driver. Consider keeping a predictable rest plan, making a loosening up sleep time schedule, and enhancing your rest climate. Stay away from energizers near sleep time, limit screen time, and oversee pressure. Keep a rest journal to follow designs. Focus on your psychological and actual prosperity, and look for proficient assistance for customized direction.

Yes, your sleep disorder is caused by your shift change. If you can't manage your day or can't take care of yourself on time, this can be a problem. If you want to get rid of this problem then you should consult a doctor. Or you need to change your daily lifestyle.

Share: