Notifications
Clear all

How Quickly are mood shifts for someone with Sleep Disorder?

Topic starter

Mood shifts vary from person to person, and are somewhat dependent on what type of Sleep you have. Rapid-cycling BP is obviously going to shift faster than BP II. Some switch every month; others only once or twice a year. The criteria for a bipolar diagnosis is one episode of mania, hypomania, or depression, lasting a week or more; however, that has not been my experience. My son, who has Type 1, is manic 99% of the time-but he is also not taking medication. My father, who has Type II but is also untreated, gets depressed from time to time, but his symptoms are different than mine. So it’s really pretty random.

Personally, with a Type II diagnosis, I’m depressed far more than hypomanic. Until recently, I was depressed for weeks at a time, but only got hypomanic about every six weeks, which usually lasted two to three days. Now, for some reason, it’s every few weeks, and lasts a day or two, sometimes longer.

However, even after many years of dealing with this disorder, and in spite of quite a bit of research and education on mental illness, I still tend to think I’m at a “normal” (stable) stage, when I’m actually hypomanic. My dh can tell because I start talking very fast and jump from one topic to another mid-sentence, and I have more energy. I also start projects that never get finished (though I’m actually better about finishing now that my counselor made it one of my goals). So I may actually cycle faster or slower than I believe.

When it comes to depression, I’ve learned to be very careful and take it seriously. When I start noticing the symptoms coming on, I know I need to get busy, as distraction has been my best tool. So I can’t really say how often I switch from hypomania to depression; I only know if I don’t nip the depression in the bud, I’m taking a huge risk on my own safety and well-being. I once spent five months in a terrible depressive episode, but until last December, I had gone 15 months without being suicidal. So this year I’m being proactive to avoid getting that low again.

2 Answers

Rest problems can essentially affect state of mind shifts, with quick changes frequently happening. Inadequate or disturbed rest upsets profound guideline, prompting crabbiness, uneasiness, and emotional episodes. Restless people might encounter uplifted profound responsiveness and a decreased capacity to adapt to pressure. The effect can be prompt, influencing everyday connections and by and large prosperity. Constant rest problems, like sleep deprivation or rest apnea, can intensify temperament precariousness over the long haul. Tending to the hidden rest issues through way of life changes, treatment, or clinical mediation might assist with settling states of mind and work on profound strength for those with rest problems.

Mood swings can happen very quickly for people who have trouble sleeping. Not getting enough good sleep can make you irritable, moody, and emotionally unstable very quickly. Even small changes in sleep habits can have an effect on mood, so taking care of sleep problems right away is important for keeping your mental health in good shape.

Share: